Electrical Do’s and Don’ts to Keep You Safe
- Never overload electrical outlets.
- Only use extension cords as a temporary solution.
- Do not place power cords under rugs, carpets or furniture.
- Buy products which meet the Underwriter’s Laboratory (UL) standard for safety.
- Install smoke alarms outside bedrooms and once on each floor.
- Turn appliances off before plugging them in.
- Keep electrical appliances away from wet areas.
- Keep heaters and halogen lamps away from draperies and other combustible materials.
- Use only three-slot outlets for appliances with three-prong plugs.
- Use safety devices to help child-proof outlets.
- Don’t turn a circuit back on before identifying why it was turned off.